Monday, March 29, 2010

Hunters are hard.

Dear WoW,

As you know, I love playing very much and often that enjoyment leads me to enlightenment in ways other than one might originally think. This weekend was one of those times.

As the observant reader of WoW, I am lost may have noticed I have been leveling a hunter lately (She's made the top of the list of achievements over on the side here). *points right*

Yes, I admit it, for just about the whole time I have played WoW I have thought of hunters as jerks who are just out there to make life harder for those of us who aren't so annoying enough to lower themselves to play a hunter. Now I know there is the occasional person who is a good hunter, but they really are few and far between.

So, I'm up to 29 with my hunting, and have found that it is WAY harder than it looks. OK, rotation is easy, I am playing as a BM spec, so: Hunter's mark-Serpent Shot-Arcane Shot. Rinse repeat. The hard part is everything else!

First for some reason tabbing  targets for Hunters does not work like it did on my DK. Instead it seems that it randomly goes to some other pack of mobs that is just at the edge of my freaking range that will bring that group in to freaking wipe the party. So, I have that down. I know it happens now. The Paladin tank no longer needs to yell "Fucktard...I mean Hunter stop pulling things that I didn't pull, or I'll let them kill you."

So, I stopped using tab to find the next mob to attack, and instead I am click picking my targets, causing a small delay in my attack time, lowering my DPS number just a slight bit, causing the Healer to say "Fucktard....I mean Hunter! Pick it up, your DPS sucks!"

After reading that, remember my hunter is level 29!!!! 29 people. How the hell do I know if my DPS sucks or not at level 29? Is there a graph on a website somewhere that says if you are level 29 you should be doing XX DPS? If so where the hell is it? Who's hiding it from me?

Next, handling my pet. Developers of WoW are you telling me that with all the things you can do you can't figure out how to make my pet actually follow directions? I mean I put Fred (my wolf) on defensive, and instead of always attacking the things we are fighting, (not even just the thing I'm attacking) he randomly runs off and attacks that random pack of mobs just at the edge of my freaking range. This tends to incite the Pally tank to say "Fucktard...I mean Hunter! Control your pet!" Like I am not freaking trying to! I have any clue how the hell to stop my pet from doing stupid shit.

Someone told me to set my pet on passive to handle this issue. OK, is it just me, or am I the only idiot hunter player who set it on passive and then never remembers to have him attack anything ever again, inciting the healer to say "Fucktard...I mean Hunter! Control your pet!."

Other mistakes I have made, Growl is not for instances, Cower is. Never let your pet get ahead of your group. Disengage is a tool, use it. What is Scorpid sting for? I don't know, do you? HAVE A FREAKING AURA ON! Viper aura is good for mana regen, bad for fighting if you can help it. Hawk Aura is good for fighting, not for mana regen.

This all brings me to my point, Huntards out there that have been given shit in my mind and sometimes even out loud by me, I am sorry, I assumed you had it easy. You didn't.

Love always,
Michilenea, Michelenea, Waterlemon

6 comments:

  1. Waterlemon! It's Kaindah/Meja. I love this post. Check my blog out for the few posts I have ranting about Hunters. I love Hunters; I hate the pets. Okay, I lied. I love my pets. I hate that I can't control them. I have a post dedicated to how much I hate the random pull factor. So, deary, I understand wholly what you mean.

    And I agree... we Hunters are expected to 'have it easy'... but we really don't

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this post my first toon was a Hunter during BC and i actually got her to 60 and I loved my pets. the control issue is why i finally stopped playing her. With all the changes since then I wouldn't have a clue how to play her anymore but i'll never delete her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maxdps.com - courtesy of Jinsao :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::chuckle:: Makes me appreciate the fine level of control I had over my tiger in FFXI.

    Also if those are the kind of comments you get from your party...

    ...yeah, not so interested in trying WoW out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Engel: No, definitely not. I have definitely learned quite a bit about hunters. I Really enjoy them even if I'm not always go good at them.

    @Katt: Totally don't delete her. You never know when you want to go back and have some animal love.

    @Caralee(twoewes): Thank you, looked at the site. It is great for level 80s, I don't think it does under 80's yet though.

    @ChiefLibrarian: OK, first of all, I've played beastmaster in FFXI, WoW does a lot of things with Hunter that FFXI does wrong, like I can turn on and off abilities as I see fit. Second, This is the sort of thing that goes on in my mind. No one has ever called me a Fucktard. OK wait, people have, but not because of this. Third, you won't play WoW because you are a snob :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Sorry about the slow response to comments, I ran into more technical issues on posting comments on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete